Monday, February 18, 2013

Look of the Week: Staying Warm

With a quick glimpse of the outdoor thermometer this morning, I shivered at the 20-something degree proclamation.  I know that's not all that cold for some of you, but for us here in the mid-Atlantic, it's pretty chilly.  That being said, with the changeable nature of this climate, tomorrow could very easily be a balmy 70 or 80 degrees, only to snow again the next day. 
 
As humans, we learn to adapt.  Like some creatures molt at the change from cold to warm, and others add an extra layer of soft, thick fur, our bodies have not yet learned to do those things on their own, and layering clothing is our way of adjusting for the weather. 
 
Below, my little model shows off some appropriate layering, which could easily be modified for colder climes by adding a pair of knit tights underneath the leggings, or a wooly skirt overtop.
 

 
 
*  Leggings from Naartjie, purchased for $7.99 on sale on a day they offered free shipping. 
 
**Hooded sweater was $3.00 from a local thrift store 2 years ago, and is layered under a basic pink tee.  This oversized bargain just lives new life again and again, and given that the sleeves are still needing to be rolled, I suspect we may get another year out of this great find!
 
***Boots were purchased for $8.00 from Off Broadway Shoes.  I'm the farthest thing from an extreme couponer, but the boots were $15.00, I had a $5.00 off coupon I got in my e-mail from being on their mailing list, and I had a receipt coupon for a few bucks (they give you a coupon for the dollar amount of 10% of your purchase every time you buy something!), taking it down to $8.00!

No comments: